The Peter Lehmann H&V Barossa Valley Tempranillo is a medium to full bodied red wine suited to rustic red meat dishes and it certainly has the potential to age beautifully in the bottle for a number of years.
Tempranillo is a Spanish red grape variety that plays the major role in the great red wines of Rioja and Ribera del Duero in northern Spain. It produces deeply coloured, richly flavoured red wines that match robust red meat dishes or a sharply flavoured Cheddar. These wines are characterised by dark black cherry flavours and finish with lovely chalky tannins making them great food wines. There are similarities between these two famous Spanish regions to the Barossa and it seems as if Tempranillo has found another natural home on the Barossa floor.
The 2014 vintage has provided an exciting H&V Tempranillo which shows just how well this classic variety is adapting to its new home in the Barossa. The colour is deep with a bright red hue. There are aromas of red cherry and spice, finishing with firm chalky tannins and plush red fruits to support and a soft finish. This is a medium to full bodied red wine suited to rustic red meat dishes and it certainly has the potential to age beautifully in the bottle for a number of years. It is recommended that the wine be decanted 4 to 5 hours before serving to allow it to breathe and open up.
The 2014 vintage started in very hot weather but was interrupted by two days of heavy rain in mid February after which the weather settled down and we experienced wonderful Indian summer conditions for the remainder of the vintage. This allowed the grapes to ripen slowly and evenly, producing wines of exceptional quality.
The wine was fermented on skins for ten days and then aged in older French oak hogsheads for six months prior to bottling.
Ideal with spicy, rich food. Delightful with Chorizo sausages, a hearty beef casserole or crispy pork belly.
Awards & Accolades
- Blue Gold Award 2014 Sydney International Wine Competition 2013 Vintage
- Silver 2014 National Canberra Wine Show, Class 23 2013 Vintage
- Bronze 2015 Royal Queensland Wine Show, Class 49 2013 Vintage
- Bronze 2015 London International Wine Challenge 2013 Vintage
- Blue Gold Award 2014 Sydney International Wine Competition 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2014 London International Wine Challenge 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Class 40 2012 Vintage
- Bronze 2013 Barossa Wine Show, Class 17 2012 Vintage