Margaret River is regarded as the premier region in Australia for Bordeaux blends as typified by Ashbrook’s blend of approximately 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. 24 months in French Oak and 18 months bottle maturation produce classical wines of elegance, intensity and opulence.
Hand-picked over 2 weeks the berries are cold soaked, gently plunged and temperature controlled in 4 tonne parcels in open fermenters for gentle and full extraction. The wine is matured in 100% French oak barriques (20% new) for 2 years, then further stored in our underground climate controlled cellar for 18 months before release. Ashbrook has made this traditional Bordeaux-style blend since 1984.
Ashbrook Estate Cabernet Merlot Awards:
- 94 points James Halliday (2004, 2008)
- 95 points James Halliday (2005, 2012)
- James Halliday’s Weekend Australian Top 100 Wines 2010 (2005)
- Silver Medal Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2012 (2009)
- Silver Medal Margaret River Wine Show 2013 (2009)
- Gold Medal Sakura Wine Awards 2014, Japan (2009)